All breakfasts are four-course culinary experiences and are served by candlelight. They consist of fresh baked pastry (scones, breads, turnovers, muffins or popovers), an appetizer, delicious entree and dessert. Meals may include such house specialties as blueberry scones, oatmeal souffle, strawberry crepes, baked turkey and apple sausage, sweet potato streusel, and hazelnut raspberry brownies. Everything, from scones in the morning to chocolates at turndown, is made from scratch. We have an extensive herb garden and use many edible flowers when they are in season.
Although Jan holds no culinary degree, she boasts that she is a “foodie” through and through and delights in playing with her food. She regularly takes cooking classes and explores new restaurants to keep up with current trends.
We will gladly accommodate any food allergies or preferences, including gluten-free recipes for celiac guests.
“All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast” – John Gunther.
Recipe of the Month
Amaretto French Toast
6 (1-inch thick) French bread slices
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons almond liqueur (optional)
3 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Warm maple Syrup
- Arrange bread slices in a 13 x 9 baking dish.
- Whisk together eggs, next four ingredients and liqueur. Pour over bread. Let stand 5 minutes, turning once. Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Melt butter at 400 degrees in a 15 x 10 jellyroll pan; add French bread slices.
- Bake at 400 for 15 minutes; turn and bake 8 to 10 minutes more – until golden brown. Sprinkle with almonds, dust with powdered sugar.
Makes 3 servings.
“The discovery of a new dish does more for human happiness than the discovery of a new star!” – Anthelme Brillat-Savarin.
“Jan’s breakfasts are fabulous!”
– Frank and Ruth, Virginia
Here are a few of our guests’ favorite recipes:
- Almond Baked Pears
- Chilled Peach Soup
- Chocolate Chip, Toffee and Walnut Scones
- Coconut Bread
- Fig and Rhubarb Strudel
- Fresh Tomato Sauce with Squash Ribbons
- Mom’s Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
- Peach and Cinnamon Biscuits
- Peach Tart in Coconut Crust
- Pumpkin Spice Bread
- Pumpkin Swirl Bread
- Rhubarb Bread
- Rhubarb Pecan Muffins
- Rhubarb Waffles with Rhubarb Sauce
- Sweet Potato Streusel Squares
- Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies
- The Artist’s Inn Turkey Sausage
- Zucchini Parmesan Squares
“That’s the best breakfast you’ve ever made . . . again!!”
– Paul, Delaware
We feature locally grown, fresh produce from Lancaster County and will gladly adapt our menu to any special dietary requests, including gluten-free breakfasts for celiac guests.